[Mailman-Users] Dealing with bounce counts and bounced users

Allan Trick atrick at prin.edu
Thu Nov 16 22:59:26 CET 2006

Yahoo! Mail has not been nice to our domain lately.  Since early
November any messages (including all the ones sent from our Mailman
system) to people with Yahoo email addresses have bounced--rejected
by the Yahoo! Mail servers.

I lodged a complaint with Yahoo... it didn't seem like we had done
anything wrong on our end.  Not an open relay, etc., etc.  They
acknowledged there was a problem, and day after day the problem
continued.  The more of our lists an individual with a Yahoo address
was on, the quicker he or she exceeded the bounce limit.  As of today
45 people have the "nomail" box checked because of bounces.

But it now looks like Yahoo has finally fixed the problem on their
end that caused our mail to get rejected.  That's good news!  But
I've already emailed all the people who have stopped getting mail
from us via Mailman (I wrote them from a Gmail account since I
couldn't get to them from my prin.edu account), and have suggested
they get another email address and change it in Mailman.  That was
yesterday.  And now that Yahoo is receiving mail from us again, I'm
going to tell all those people "Never mind."

Here's my question:  how do I uncheck "nomail" for all those people
that Mailman didn't think we could communicate with?  Do I need to go
in to each one and manually do it?  Also, should I reset the bounce
count for those folks?  If so, how is that done?

Thank you!

Allan Trick