[Mailman-Users] rename mailman hostname

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Nov 13 19:50:17 CET 2006

mardin at comcast.net wrote:

>Since I needed to rename hostname to mailman_server2.admin.net. I added the following lines to mm_cfg.py and run fix_url and arch. The mailman server was working.
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mailman_server2.admin.net'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mailman_server2.admin.net'
>VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'

The above is correct and all you need.

>But when I looked at "FAQ 4.29. Where can I change a list or the default URL used for the web interface?" I found the following message:
>> and some more add_virtualhost(URL_FQDN, EMAIL_FQDN) if you are using virtual hosts.

This only applies if this Mailman is to support lists in more than one
domain.

>My question is:
>Should I add one extra line shch as "add_virtualhost(mailman_server2.admin.net, mailman_server2.admin.net') in the mmcfg_cfg.py:
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mailman_server2.admin.net'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mailman_server2.admin.net'
>VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>add_virtualhost(mailman_server2.admin.net, mailman_server2.admin.net')                                          <-new

This would be wrong. If you add additional lines such as the above, the
names have to be quoted as in

add_virtualhost('mailman_server2.admin.net',
'mailman_server2.admin.net')

but this wouldn't be any different from the

you already have with the values of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST that you have assigned.

>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
>
>Our Apache httpd.conf has VirtualHost directory. Does it mean we are using the virtual host of mailman_server2.admin.net?
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>ServerName mailman_server2.admin.net

Yes, but it makes no difference to Mailman. Mailman's virtual hosts are
for supporting lists in more than one domain with a single Mailman
instance, so unless you have Mailman lists in a second domain, you
aren't using Mailman virtual hosts.