[Mailman-Users] Temporary local problem - please try later

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Nov 13 06:56:15 CET 2006

J.R. Constance wrote:

>I am seeing the following error in my smtp-failure log
>
>Nov 12 18:33:44 2006 (18367) All recipients refused:
>{'jrc at rodricon.com': (451, 'Temporary local problem - please try
>later')}, msgid: <mailman.1.1163260804.9656.constituent-society-
>leadership_ascls-lists.org at ascls-lists.org>
>Nov 12 18:33:44 2006 (18367) delivery to jrc at rodricon.com failed with
>code 451: Temporary local problem - please try later
>
>I have something like 180000 lines in the failure log either with
>this 451 error or with s. Any idea what could be causing this?

Brad has given several good suggestions in his reply. I just want to
add that this is a Mailman generated message (from the message-id). It
is almost certainly an owner notification of some kind sent to
constituent-society-leadership-owner at ascls-lists.org and then being
resent to the list owner.

Is the address jrc at rodricon.com deliverable? What do you see in the
MTA's log. What happens if you try to send to jrc at rodricon.com from
some MUA via the same MTA connection?

Also, the 451 is being returned by the MTA directly to Mailman's
SMTPDirect.py handler during the SMTP delivery, and the message is
queued for retry. Thus, this may be just one or a few messages, each
being retried every 15 minutes.