[Mailman-Users] Installation on a current mail system

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Nov 11 03:44:38 CET 2006

At 5:14 PM -0700 11/10/06, Eric Michaels wrote:

>  Will installing Mailman interfere with any of the operations of the current
>  system? We still want the system to handle the mail sent to those designated
>  domains, and I was going to set up the Mailman domains (it handles two) in
>  Sendmail and hosts.

Mailman isn't going to do anything that is not explicitly directed to
it.  Mailman does not listen on port 25, or any other port, so it's
not going to screw up any incoming traffic.

Unless you configure your web server to explicitly know about Mailman
and to give it certain traffic meeting certain URL patterns, no one
will ever be able to see a Mailman-related web page.

Unless you configure your mail server to explicitly know about
Mailman and to give it certain mail messages, no one will ever be
able to send a mail message to Mailman.

>  Would I need to run virtual servers, or can Mailman co-exist with Sendmail
>  that handles 'regular' mail. Any other caveats I should know about?

There shouldn't be any additional risk here.  No additional "virtual
servers" should be required.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.