[Mailman-Users] Umbrella List / Moderation

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 16:30:01 CET 2006

On 11/10/06, Todd Seeleman <seeleman at gse.upenn.edu> wrote:
>         I'm still not clear on the umbrella list function.  What I'm trying to
> do is have a number of sub-lists (different faculty status) to which
> email to the super-list (all-faculty comprising all of the sub-list
> names) will distribute.  I'd like to allow all sub-list members to send
> to the super-list
There is a patch to facilitate this, which allows you to reference
other lists' memberships in Privacy Options > Sender Filters >
accept_these_nonmembers.

> and, if possible, allow all domain addresses i.e.
> *@gse.upenn.edu to send to certain lists.  Is this possible?  I've tried
> using the following options without success.
You want to add ^.*@gse\.upenn\.edu to accept_these_nonmembers, which
should make it a regexp match.

As for the umbrella list configuration, not only do you need either
acceptable_aliases or !require_explicit_destination, but the umbrella
list address will also need to be in accept_these_nonmembers, or a
member of the sub lists (but the latter, here, is almost certainly a
bad idea. So, stick with accept_these_nonmembers.)

Hope this helps,

--
- Patrick Bogen