[Mailman-Users] Unkown user

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 10 02:08:17 CET 2006

G. Armour Van Horn wrote:

>Could you expand on that, perhaps? This system has used Postfix as its
>MTA since the day it was first setup (1 October 2002) and the aliases
>have always been added to /etc/postfix/aliases. There is no reference
>that I can see to aliases in /home/mailman/data, no file by that name
>and "grep alias *" returns no matches in that directory.

There is a way to configure Mailman an Postfix so that mailman will
maintain aliases and aliases.db in its data/ directory and Postfix
will use them. This eliminates the need to manually add and delete
aliases in /etc/postfix/aliases when lists are created and deleted,
but is not required to use Mailman and Postfix. See
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html> for more information.

The fact that you don't do this is not the cause of your problem. The
problem is something to do with the postfix configuration file
(main.cf). Postfix is not properly interpreting the alias as a pipe to
a command. This has nothing do do with Mailman per se, as Postfix
decides the post is undeliverable without any Mailman involvement
whatsoever.

If you can't figure this out, you might have more success asking on a
Postfix list as this is a Postfix issue.

>I don't recall ever making any change to the Postfix configuration on
>the system, although I'm sure that Postfix itself has been upgraded a
>couple of times, the current executable is dated 31 August 2005. That's
>long before the current problem started, but several years after the
>machine was first built.

What about main.cf?