[Mailman-Users] Unkown user

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Thu Nov 9 08:46:01 CET 2006

I did something, although I can't for the life of me figure out what,
that broke my mailman server. The web presence hasn't changed any, user
administration works fine, as does access to the archive, and monthly
password reminders are being sent. But mail to any of the lists bounces.
I'm running Mailman 2.1.9 (just upgraded from 2.1.8 tonight in hopes
that the new install would fix the problem) with Postfix 2.2.5 on RedHat
7.2.

The heart of the bounce is as follows:

<"|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"@domainvanhorn.com> (expanded from
    <freehand at virtuoso.domainvanhorn.com>): unknown user:
    "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"

The aliases (/etc/postfix/aliases) for that list look like this:

## freehand mailing list
freehand:              "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"
freehand-admin:        "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman admin freehand"
freehand-bounces:      "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman bounces freehand"
freehand-confirm:      "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman confirm freehand"
freehand-join:         "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman join freehand"
freehand-leave:        "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman leave freehand"
freehand-owner:        "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman owner freehand"
freehand-request:      "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman request freehand"
freehand-subscribe:    "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe freehand"
freehand-unsubscribe:  "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe freehand"

Does this suggest anything to anybody?

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/