[Mailman-Users] Can't send messages to list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Nov 9 01:44:44 CET 2006

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:

>I put the original smtplib.py file back in /varlib/python.3/smtplib.py
>and i get the same problem again.
>
>Nov 08 16:41:31 2006 (13973) Low level smtp error: [Errno 9] Bad file
>descriptor, msgid:
><804e5c70611081443y26603704gdecfae9847cf64f4 at xxx.xxxx.com>
>Nov 08 16:46:31 2006 (13973) delivery to xxxxx at xxx.com failed with
>code -1: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor
>Nov 08 16:46:31 2006 (13973) Low level smtp error: [Errno 9] Bad file
>descriptor, msgid: <455209CD.20560.1BA7A89 at xxxx.xxxx.org>
>Nov 08 16:46:31 2006 (13973) delivery to xxxx at xxxx.com failed with
>code -1: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor
>
>So i guess i will stick with the file i got from debian bug

Please post a 'diff -u' between the smtplib.py that works and the one
that doesn't work.

Lionel says that effectively all he changed in your working version was
writing debug output to sys.stderr instead of stdout, and when I
diffed Lionel's version with the Python 2.3.4 base, that's the only
change I saw, but there must be something else in your case or else
simply enabling the debug prints causes the problem because of the
writes to stdout, but then what caused the original problem.

In any case, I am very interested to see if there is some other change
in your original smtplib.py that is causing it to fail.