[Mailman-Users] Hit a but & use of VERP

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Wed Nov 8 15:28:45 CET 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Henrik Rasmussen wrote:

> I am new to Mailman. I currently have two problems.
>
> I am using Mailman version 2.1.5 with Postfix. I am able to send mails
> to the list and the mails are sent to the subscribers. According to the
> mail headers in the mails received from Mailman, Mailman actually uses
> Postfix.
>
> Problem 1) I would like to use VERP. I have read a number of
> documents[1] describing how to set this up, but so far Mailman is still
> not using VERP, that is, the mails I receive from the list does not seem
> to contain any VERPed headers.
>
> [1]    http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html
>         http://www.postfix.org/VERP_README.html
>
> Etc. Some describes to set VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = 1 (etc.) and other
> documents explains to set VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes ,but I have tried
> both in ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py, without luck. I have also tried to
> set it directly in Default.py (shame on me) but also no luck.

I'm not an "expert" but I believe VERP_CONFIRMATIONS only controls
confirmation messages like the parameter name implies. Controlling VERPing
of list messages is done by 1) turning on Personalization (non-digest
options in the interface; not sure how it's done for digests) which firt
requires OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION to be set in mm_cfg.py and 2)
setting the variables VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES and
VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL in mm_cfg.py.

> In postfix, I have tried to follow
> /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.2.10/README_FILES/VERP_READM ,but I am not sure
> where exactly to set up sendmail -V. I suppose it is mailman I should
> set up to use sendmail -V, but I am not sure where. I figured it would
> be in mm_cfg.py where I set SENDMAIL_CMD = '/usr/sbin/sendmail -V', but
> this didn't do any difference. The default (in Defaults.py) is
> SENDMAIL_CMD = '/usr/lib/sendmail' and I have tried this one with
> SENDMAIL_CMD = '/usr/lib/sendmail -V' also. Still no luck.

I do VERP with Postfix and there was no need for me to change SENDMAIL_CMD
to make it work.

> I recall something about that VERP should have been set up at
> installation, but isn't there any way to do it afterwards?

No. I added VERP much later.

-- Larry Stone
   lstone19 at stonejongleux.com