[Mailman-Users] debian/exim4/mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Nov 7 03:23:25 CET 2006

Eric Walker wrote:

>This is what I am proposing to do with your new information.
>1) I found out that godaddy(my hosting account) does allow at least 250 free relays per day from my exisitng email accounts. Thats great for the time being. Well, If I can get the exim to send mails to it, then I think I have half the battle done. so help me with this first.

This will be a problem because you would be asking Exim to relay
outgoing mail via godaddy. You could probably figure out how to make
Exim do this and possibly even how to make exim authenticate as you to
godaddy, without which, godaddy almost certainly won't relay the mail,
but it seems to me that it would be simpler just to have Mailman use
godaddy as its outgoing SMTP server. You do this just by setting

SMTPHOST = 'example.com'

(or whatever the appropriate domain is) in mm_cfg.py. There is still
the authentication issue, but see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.072.htp>
for a link to information about that.

>I have been using the telnet smtp server 25 test.
>everytime it says 553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.
>But, I configure my local (MUA kmail) and all goes fine. what am I missing to get a telnet test connection. Also, I think I need to autheticate to this smtp server but not sure how on the telnet command line.

I'm not clear on what you are putting on the telnet command line and
where you see the 553, but if you want to connect and talk to a SMTP
server with telnet, you just do

telnet example.com 25

And then engage in an SMTP dialog with the server per RFC 2821
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt>. Authentication is an SMTP
extension described in RFC 2554 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2554.txt>.