[Mailman-Users] Change -owner addresses

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Nov 5 22:50:04 CET 2006

Joakim Nömell wrote:

>Hi all. Due to huge spam problems I want to change all -owner aliases to
>something else. Is there any easy way to do this? I think I have seen this
>in the FAQ earlier but can't find it.

I think it is necessary and sufficient to do this in the MTA.

If your MTA uses aliases, you could change the alias

listname-owner "|/path/to/mail/mailman owner listname"

to for example

listname-xyz "|/path/to/mail/mailman owner listname"

Then mail to listname-xyz will go to the owner and mail to
listname-owner will be undeliverable.

If you use Exim integrated with Mailman or something like that, this
would require other changes to the Exim router and transport for
Mailman.

This kind of MTA only change will not address the fact that various
notices will still be From: listname-owner, but I don't think that
will be a problem.

Note that if you use Postfix and generate aliases automatically, you'd
need to edit Mailman/MTA/Utils.py or running bin/genaliases will undo
your changes.