[Mailman-Users] how to run mailman scripts beside being root?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed May 31 00:50:49 CEST 2006

Dragon wrote:

>Jana Nguyen sent the message below at 13:16 5/30/2006:
>
>>I added user tomcat to mailman group in /etc/group
>
>OK. That's a good thing and once the permissions are set right,
>things will work. See below...
>
>>How can I configure the scripts as set_gid?  This does not seem to be on
>>the list of configuration options which mailman doc described.
>
>This is taken care of via a mailman script... see below.

The bin/* scripts are NOT setgid and 'bin/check_perms -f' will not make
them setgid. This is generally a good thing because in general you
don't want anyone who happens to have access to the box to be able to
run the bin/* scripts. They should only be runnable by a user in the
mailman group or root.

In Jana's case, adding 'tomcat' to the mailman group should allow
'tomcat' to successfully run the scripts.