[Mailman-Users] Permissions on public archives (apache 403)

Michael Berkowski berk0081 at umn.edu
Fri May 26 17:13:38 CEST 2006

Hi All,

I have seen many questions related to this in the archives, and from what I
can tell, my configuration is complete and correct.  But I cannot seem to
get my public archives to be viewable.  I wonder if someone knowledgeable
could look over the following configs and point me in the right direction.
We recently upgraded to RHEL, Apache 2.0.52, Mailman 2.1.5.  We have around
80 lists, but only a handful require public archives.

check_perms returns no errors.  We do have a few virtual hosts in apache
with IP access restrictions, but mailman has no such restrictions. (Allow
from all)

All access attempts return:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /pipermail/xxxxx on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Port 80

Apache reads mailman.conf on startup.  Would it make a difference if I put
this information into httpd.conf instead?

# mailman.conf #######################
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/
<Directory /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/>
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/public>
   Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
   # Options FollowSymlinks ExecCGI -Indexes -Includes
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

[root at othello mailman]# ls -l /var/lib/mailman
total 68
drwxrwsr-x   5 mailman mailman  4096 May 19 11:43 archives
drwxrwsr-x   2 mailman mailman 16384 May 26 09:45 data
drwxrwsr-x  72 mailman mailman  4096 May 22 16:03 lists
drwxrwsr-x   3 mailman mailman  4096 Apr 17 11:35 locks
drwxrwsr-x   2 mailman mailman  4096 Apr 17 11:15 logs
drwxrwsr-x  11 mailman mailman  4096 Apr 17 11:16 qfiles
drwxrwsr-x   2 mailman mailman  4096 Apr 17 11:14 spam

[root at othello archives]# ls -l /var/lib/mailman/archives/
total 32
drwxrws--x  198 mailman mailman 12288 May 22 16:03 private
drwxrwsr-x    2 mailman mailman  4096 May 22 16:03 public

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to look these over.  Please let
me know if I forgot to include something.

Thanks much,
Michael
---
MINITEX Library Information Network / MnLINK
University of Minnesota