[Mailman-Users] FW: Install issues

Defryn, Guy G.P.Defryn at massey.ac.nz
Fri May 26 01:41:31 CEST 2006

Thanks Patrick,

I have reinstalled on FC5 but still having issues.
Postfix itself appears to be working. It sends and delivers email
correctly.

I have installed mailman. The web interface is up and running.
I have added the URL and email host to mm_cfg.py and set
MTA to Postfix. I also set up the cronjob for mailman.

I created a list called rugby through interface and subscribed myself.
The message to confirm subscription arrives just fine.
I confirmed but when posting I get an error in mail log that says
I don't exist locally.

Now this is most likely because it can't find the mailman aliases file.
This will sound stupid but I cannot find it either!! I assume that
when you create a list through interface that it adds it to the alias
file?
I did run genaliases and that generated the following error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./genaliases", line 116, in ?
    main()
  File "./genaliases", line 106, in main
    MTA.create(mlist, nolock=True, quiet=quiet)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 232, in create
    _update_maps()
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 53, in
_update_maps
    raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias /etc/mailman/aliases
(status:
1, Operation not permitted)

I also have the mailman list. Setup and subscription worked fine
but when I post to list I get error that says:

< it022607.mydomain.com #5.0.0 X-Postfix; Command died with status 1:
"/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman">

I assume that this is a permission issue?

Hope someone can give me some pointers. Being completely new to mail
sure is a steep learning curve!

Cheers