[Mailman-Users] Messages discarded by ISP

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun May 21 20:09:21 CEST 2006

Antonio Dragone wrote:

>On 5/21/06, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
>
>> There is no "setting" for this. You have to change the code in
>> Mailman/Handlers/SendMail.py, but if you do, it will break automated
>> bounce processing.
>>

>Thanks Mark!
>I prefer to "break" automated bounce processing instead of letting my
>subscribers without their "e-news" paper=85 ;)
>
>In the other hand, I have read some recommendations about not to use
>Sendmail.py and I imagine Mailman is not using it because I have not
>changed the default configuration (am I wrong?)

My mistake. You are not using Sendmail.py (you have to do several,
non-default things to enable it and make it useable). I was typing too
quickly and carelessly. I meant Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py, not
Sendmail.py.

However, I think you said that your problem, if it is caused by the
envelope sender, is limited to recipients in your own ISP's domain.
Perhaps you could 'fix' it in some other way. I think you first need
to determine, perhaps with the ISP, exactly why these messages aren't
being delivered. Since your Sendmail MTA reports no error, it somehow
is occurring within the ISP. If it is the fact that the From: is from
a user in the ISP's domain, and the envelope is not, it would seem to
say that no one could post to any Mailman (or perhaps other MLM) list
from that domain and have their post delivered back to anyone in that
domain. It doesn't seem that the ISP would really want that.