[Mailman-Users] disappearing CC lines

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri May 19 17:18:21 CEST 2006

Patrick Bogen wrote:

>On 5/19/06, Imre Gergely <imre.gergely at astral.ro> wrote:
>> but the other members of the list do get the mail. they should see in the Cc:
>> that one person, who didn't get it because of above condition. or am i wrong here?
>>
>I don't know about 'should,' but this is NOT what happens. As Mark
>explains, the AvoidDups mechanism will drop from the CC any users
>which (a) were originally listed in the CC, and (b) are list members.
>So, the only people in the CC should be users for which (a) is true
>and (b) is FALSE.

Actually, the (b) condition is a bit more restrictive - they have to be
a candidate to receive this post from the list. I.e., they have to be
a non-digest list member with delivery enabled and not the poster if
the poster has DontReceiveOwnPosts set, and they have to meet the
topic filter criteria for this post if any.

But that is the way it does work. The real question is if that is the
way it 'should' work. I tend to agree with Imre that removing the
address is wrong, but I can see arguments on both sides. For example,
one reason I care, is I 'reply all' to posts, and I like to see all
the past posters in a thread in To: or Cc:. I think this is good
because it keeps digest members who have posted to a thread current on
the thread, but current behavior doesn't remove a digest member - it
only removes a message member, so maybe it's good to reduce clutter.

The thing I really dislike about the current behavior is it is
inconsistent. It removes from Cc: but not from To:.

I'm going to try to find out if anyone remembers why it is this way in
the first place, and if it should be continued.