[Mailman-Users] mailman + exim, no mail to owners

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri May 19 03:39:47 CEST 2006

John W. Baxter wrote:

>On 5/18/06 10:24 AM, "Anne Ramey" <anne.ramey at ncmail.net> wrote:
>
>> Anne Ramey wrote:
>>> I've just switched over from sendmail to exim because of how well it
>>> (supposedly) works with mailman, but now none of my owner posts are
>>> going through...thus owners are not getting their notifications of
>>> pending posts, etc.
>>>
>>> It's happening for all my lists.  This is what's in the mailman logs:
>>> May 18 11:43:51 2006 (1956) post to escml.field.all from
>>> listname at lists.ncmail.net, size=5185,
>>> message-id=<mailman.277.1147878675.1789.listname at lists.ncmail.net>, 2
>>> failures
>>> And there is nothing in the exim log.

I think that's from the 'post' log. There should be a more detailed
message in Mailman's 'smtp-failure' log.

Mailman sends owner notices in two steps. Step 1 - send it to
list-owner. Step 2 - receive the mail to list-owner and resend to the
owners. If you look in Mailman's 'smtp' log, you can normally see the
two entries for the message-id, the first with 1 recipient and the
second with recipients = the number of owners.

In your case, it seems to be step 2 that fails. Things that can break
step 1 are most likely, the -owner suffix missing from the mailman
router in the exim config, but in your case it definitely seems to be
step 2 as you said

>the number of failures listed is always
>the number of owners for that list.

So what's in the 'smtp' and 'smtp-failure' logs?

Just guessing, I think exim may not like the envelope sender (SMTP MAIL
FROM command) of the owner notice. I think this is
mailman-bounces at DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST (where mailman is the name of the
site list).