[Mailman-Users] Mailman and dynamic DNS redirect

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu May 18 20:18:55 CEST 2006

At 11:11 AM -0400 2006-05-18, Steve R wrote:

>  A very basic question that I haven't found the answer to -- (and I've
>  looked) -- can Mailman run using a dynamic DNS redirect or does it
>  have to have a static IP address for reverse DNS? I'm wanting to run
>  three small low-volume lists.

	Mailman doesn't care about these sorts of things itself.  The MTA
(sendmail, postfix, Exim, whatever) will probably care, and the web
server (e.g., apache) may care.

	But Mailman itself doesn't know anything about DNS, nor does it
use DNS internally.  By the time the messages get to Mailman, all the
DNS-related stuff will already have been done by the MTA.  By the
time the users connect to the Mailman web interface, the web server
will have done all the other DNS-related stuff.  Mailman will dump
outgoing messages on the MTA, which will then care about using DNS to
deliver those messages.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755