[Mailman-Users] PGP keys causing problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu May 18 02:18:40 CEST 2006

Todd Zullinger wrote:

>In the bug report I found, there's a link to the archived message:
>
>    http://sablecc.org/lists/sablecc-user/2004-December/000159.html
>
>and that looks just like the archived messages I have from testing.
>
>It starts off with:
>
>    Skipped content of type multipart/mixed
>
>which would mean that the message part was totally skipped in
>Handlers.Scrubber, right?

That message is issued when we walk through the message parts after
scrubbing and find a non-multipart sub part whose type is not
text/plain.

>It seems to me that some part of the scrubber or message parsing code
>may just not be recursing into the multipart/mixed part, but I don't
>really know.  Mark, perhaps you know the flow better and could say
>whether that's a possibility?

Something is seriously wrong, either with Scrubber or with the original
message. I.e. it is saying there is a multipart/mixed part that
doesn't have sub-parts.

>The structure of an OpenPGP/MIME signed message with an attachment is
>something like this (the parts inside the multipart/mixed part may
>vary, in my tests I used a plain text message and attached a patch
>file):
>
>    multipart/signed
>        multipart/mixed
>            text/plain
>            text/plain
>        application/pgp-signature
>
>Around line 300 in Handlers.Scrubber, the comments say:
>
>    # All parts should be scrubbed to text/plain by now.
>
>and then a simple test for a non text/plain ctype is made, replacing
>it with the "Skipped content" text from above.  Somewhere before that,
>shouldn't the multipart/mixed message part have been handled?

Yup. Something is wrong here. Maybe in Scrubber, Maybe in Python's
email parser. I probably won't have time to look at this in detail
until Friday, but I will. Can you send me a copy of your test message
off list? Thanks.