[Mailman-Users] Everything is an attachment

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu May 18 00:28:54 CEST 2006

Steve Campbell wrote:

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>> Are you saying that the original posts to the list contain attachments
>> that go to the list? If so, the list header and footer will always be
>> added as separate MIME parts (attachments).
>
>Exactly, yes that is correct.
>
>So there is no way, other than changing MUA (Outlook) for this to work, even
>with the newer version?

Well ..., it makes sense to me that if a post is multipart mixed, and
the first sub part is text/plain, then this is a plain text post with
attachments, and we could add the list header/footer to the text/plain
part just as we do for single part, text/plain messages. I don't think
this would be hard to do, but here are the issues if I do this.

It would be done on the "trunk" for Mailman 2.2. You would have to get
that version of Mailman/Handlers/Decorate.py (just the one module)
from the sourceforge.net site and put it in your installation.

I'm not sure that this is "generally desireable". I think it is, but I
would first ask this list and maybe Mailman-developers at python.org if
anyone would have a problem with it.

>BTW, I did find an RPM, but don't know it validity from:
>
>http://www.wesmo.com/rpm2html/x86/mailman-2.1.6-1.i386.html
>
>Is it worth the effort to upgrade from 2.1.5 to 2.1.6?

Todd has already given a better answer than I could to the RPM question.

As far as it being worth it to upgrade to 2.1.6, there are a few
security issues in 2.1.5 that are fixed in 2.1.6, so yes, I think it's
worth it, but I would suggest trying to go all the way to 2.1.8 if
possible. But none of this will change the header/footer issue for
mail with attachments that go to the list.