[Mailman-Users] Stupid Newby Setup question

PC At Last admin at pcatlast.com
Wed May 17 11:29:46 CEST 2006

Sorry to bug you guys with what is probably such a simple question that
nobody figured it needed to be in the help files...

I'm trying to set up a mailing lists system for sending notifications to
members of a volunteer organisation. There will be no posts from
members, only from the office. Subscription and Unsubscription will only
ever be done by staff from the mass subscription on the admin page, so
none of that stuff is required for users.

Unfortunately, the mail server has a hard coded 500 mails an hour speed
limit, and the list is about 1300 and growing. I have set up three
separate lists to hold about 450 addresses max (so the office staff have
no excuse to slack off for an hour after sending a mailout), so we send
to list1, an hour or so later to list2, etc.

The lists are set to accept mail only from the office mail account, and
just reject everything else.

It used to work. Then the server died. Then the backup got corrupted by
the clutz rebuilding the server. Then we had to start from scratch. Now
I have three mailing lists that just won't work - test messages vanish
into the ether - no bounce, no notification, no delivery, no nothing.

I'm at my wits end, and have invested way too much of my life in this.
Can someone point me to a template, or a simple "point by point" how to
make this simple configuration work. At this point, I'm happy to nuke
everything and start with default settings again...

Many thanks in anticipation.

Glen