[Mailman-Users] Topic filter actually used anymore? - feedbackrequest

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed May 17 05:24:49 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Gotcha #1. If a user is subscribed to any topic(s) and has not elected
>to receive posts which don't match any topic, and the list admin
>disables topics, the user will not receive any posts at all.
>
>The fix is a simple change in Handlers/CalcRecips.py to test
>mlist.topics_enabled before zapping any recipients when the post
>matches no topics.

I have committed this fix in the subversion trunk.

>Gotcha #2. If a user is subscribed to a topic and has not elected to
>receive posts which don't match any topic, and the list admin deletes
>that topic, the user will not receive any posts that would have
>matched that topic. It is possible for the admin to delete all topics
>and the user to still have selected topics which the user can't
>unselect.

The last sentence is untrue - see below.

>The fix I have come up with here is to change Gui/Topics.py so that
>whenever topics are changed, each user's topic selections are checked
>and any non-existent topics are removed from the user's selections.

I abandoned this fix for a couple of reasons. First, in order to do it
in a way consistent with MemberAdaptor, it needed to scan the entire
list membership which is way too much overhead for little benefit for
large lists. Second and perhaps more important, member options
processing already effectively removes non-existent topics from the
member's selected topics whenever the member clicks "Submit My
Changes" on the options page.