[Mailman-Users] newbie: subscribers without moderation

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat May 13 18:01:02 CEST 2006

Licinio Gomez wrote:

>I've put Approved: <password> as the first line of the message body.
>The result is the same that before.
>The user is subscribed, but the list admin must accept him

The Approved: header/1st body line only works for pre-approving list
posts and for accepting held posts by email confirmation. It doesn't
work for email commands other than the confirm command to approve a
post.

>That's what I don't like, I don't want the list admin has to go to
>accept subscribed users, I want it done automatically

The list has Privacy options...->Subscription rules->subscribe_policy
which has 3 or 4 values. The always available options are

Confirm -> user must confirm by email
Require approval -> moderator must approve
Confirm and approve -> both of the above.

Perhaps Confirm would be more appropriate for your situation than
Require approval.

In addition, if ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = Yes in mm_cfg.py, there will be
a 'None' option for totally open subscription without confirmation or
approval, but this option (or effectively doing the same thing from
your web application) is very dangerous as it allows anyone to
subscribe any address to your list which has many bad repercussions.
In any case, I gather from your prior posts that you have a hosted
service, so changing ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE is probably not an option
for you.