[Mailman-Users] Has anyone actually implemented Postfix address verification for their sites?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun May 7 19:46:35 CEST 2006

Folks,

	I'm curious to know -- Postfix has this address verification
feature, which is kind of like greylisting.  Basically, before a
message from a given envelope sender will be accepted, the system has
to get a confirmation that the registered MXes for that envelope
sender domain will at least appear to accept messages for that sender.

	What this means is that spammers would have to set up a server
(or have a server set up) that would at least pretend to accept
connections and messages for that domain, and that could be a huge
drain on their resources.  If there is one thing that spammers don't
want to do, it's deal with their bounces.  Postfix AVE is a way to
force them to commit some resources to at least pretend to deal with
the problem, which may be more than they are willing/able to do.

	But I'm hesitant to actually try this out, even in a testing
mode.  Before I look any deeper into this concept, has anyone
actually used it?  Have you used it on a large system?  Did you
notice any particular problem issues?  Do you have any advice for
someone who might be contemplating going down this road?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755