[Mailman-Users] FC5 genaliases problem

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri May 5 18:36:58 CEST 2006

Michael McAndrew wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm configuring mailman from a clean standard FC5 installation using
> Postfix as the MTA.
>
> I have checked that the POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD and  POSTFIX_MAP_CMD
> variables are set correctly in Defaults.py.  They are ...
> POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
> POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
>
> But as soon as I add the line ...
> MTA = 'Postfix'
> ... to my mm_cfg.py and run bin/genaliases, I get the following error.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "bin/genaliases", line 116, in ?
>     main()
>   File "bin/genaliases", line 102, in main
>     MTA.create(None, nolock=True, quiet=quiet)
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 232, in create
>     _update_maps()
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 53, in _update_maps
>     raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
> RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias /etc/mailman/aliases
> (status: 1, Operation not permitted)
>
> An aliases file is created in /etc/mailman but no aliases.db file is created.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get past this problem would be greatly appreciated.

It's most likely a permissions issue.  See FAQ 6.9[1]

If the perms look alright, check that SELinux isn't the culprit (look
in either /var/log/messages or /var/log/audit/audit.log).

- From the path /etc/mailman I take it that you're using mailman from
the Fedora package.  If so and you find that the default perms or
SELinux policy don't work right, please consider filing a bug with
Fedora so they'll fix this.  That'll keep a lot of folks from running
into this and then needing to come here for help. :)

I'd also recommend taking a look at the GNU Mailman Installation
manual, particularly at section 6.1.1 Integrating Postfix and
Mailman[2], as it has valuable tips on making things work nice between
Postfix and Mailman.  Hopefully it's installed or referenced in the
docs Fedora installs (if not, bugzilla that to them :).

[1] http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.009.htp
[2] http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html

HTH,

- --
Don't hit a man when he's down -- kick him; it's easier.