[Mailman-Users] Automated announcements

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Thu May 4 13:18:24 CEST 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Mike Brudenell wrote:

> For example we recently moved from running our lists service using an old
> MLM package to GNU Mailman.  One of the things some of our users are
> missing is the ability to set up a repeating post to remind people of
> etiquette on the list and point them to the FAQ.  Previously they could do

Different problem. Sending a repeated static message monthly is one thing.
You could probably modify the password reminder to do that.

Sending a daily custom message is something else.  You have a custom
scheduler of what granularity ? How much scripting will it allow for custom
fields ? Is your GUI person going to be able to do that ? Will he need a
full GUI editor that allows the insertion of tags for dates, pulling fields
from a database, running snipits of code to obtain that day's URL ? How will
you check that for injection of malicious code ?

That is the path of feature creep and bloat. And 0wned servers.