[Mailman-Users] Run mailman non-permanently?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Mar 30 18:17:40 CEST 2006

Friedemann Schorer wrote:

>I tried to search google on starting mailman on incoming mails for the
>lists, e.g. via inetd, but to no success.
>
>Do you have any ideas on a possible solution?

It is not necessary for Mailman to be running in order to accept
incoming Mailman mail. It will be passed to the mail/mailman wrapper
and queued whether or not Mailman is actually running. So, depending
on how much delay you can tolerate, you might be able to set up a cron
to start mailman say every 10 minutes and another to stop it say 1
minute later. You may need to experiment with this to insure that
queues don't get backlogged, but it might work.