[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.5 and S/MIME

Liam Friel liam.friel at s3group.com
Thu Mar 30 10:22:03 CEST 2006

Hi,

We've been using mailman for ages to manage lists from several of our sites: works fine, running 2.1.5

We are experimenting with S/MIME encryption of mail messages for several reasons.

A cursory experiment suggests the even with all content filtering turned off, mailman does not handle S/MIME encrypted
messages correctly.

1. Encrypted mails (smime.p7m attachments) arrive at their destination with the message body removed (ie subject only)
2. Signed mails (smime.p7s) arrive at their destination with the .p7s as an attachment

Now (2) above I guess may be more or less correct, since it is mailman who "sent" me the message and not the person who
signed it originally. However I don't understand (1) at all. Why did the encrypted S/MIME attachment just get dropped?

I have verified that both the signed and encrypted mails are correctly formed by mailing them direct to a recipient
rather then sending then via mailman.

I have had a quick look around on the web, but I didn't come across a definitive statement if/if not mailman supports
S/MIME encryption and signing of mails.

Can someone clarify this for me, or point me at a link?

Ta
Liam

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: communications at s3group.com.
Thank You.