[Mailman-Users] Bouncing a user repeatedly.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Mar 29 23:29:45 CEST 2006

P.I.Julius wrote:

>I have a little problem with my mailman setup, and I would like to ask you
>guys for an opinion about it. I have a few lists set up on my mailman, but
>I just noticed that for one of my lists there is something wired going on.
>The server keeps bouncing a user which is an unknown user, so I have a lot
>of unwanted emails going on on my server. For eg. this is one of them:
>
>Mar 28 17:50:48 lists postfix/smtpd[26762]: connect from
>localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
>Mar 28 17:50:48 lists postfix/smtpd[26762]: 3DCF928002:
>client=localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
>Mar 28 17:50:48 lists postfix/smtpd[26762]: 3DCF928002: reject: RCPT from
>localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]: 450
><cva34.internetdsl.tpnet.pl at lists.hndomain.org>: User unknown in local
>recipient table; from=<fk-bounces at lists.hndomain.org>
>to=<cva34.internetdsl.tpnet.pl at lists.hndomain.org> proto=ESMTP
>helo=<80-70-88-201-BusName-dc.hfc.ccs.net>
>Mar 28 17:50:49 lists postfix/smtpd[26762]: disconnect from
>localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
>
>As you can see the bounce is sent out from fk-bounces at lists.hndomain.org
>to cva34.internetdsl.tpnet.pl at lists.hndomain.org but we don't have such an
>user on our server, so why do we get all this emails sent out? it happens
>every seconds, so it really uses a lot of cpu resources.

You say "we don't have such an user on our server". Does this mean that
cva34.internetdsl.tpnet.pl at lists.hndomain.org is not a member of the
"fk" list? Is there an address on that list for which there is an
alias in your MTA that is redirecting to
cva34.internetdsl.tpnet.pl at lists.hndomain.org in some way?

It looks like your MTA is returning a "450" status for this error. This
means Mailman is going to queue this message in the retry queue and
keep retrying it, but normally only once in 15 minutes, not every few
seconds.

Look at your Mailman logs 'post', 'smtp' and 'smtp-failure' and at the
contents of Mailman's qfiles/retry/ directory (queue) for clues.