[Mailman-Users] FAQ 6.9 on Debian Sarge

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Sun Mar 26 20:09:13 CEST 2006

Todd Zullinger ha scritto:
> Manlio Perillo wrote:
>>> I hit the problem described in the FAQ 6.9.
>>>
>>> However I don't want to
>>> chmod 0666 data/aliases*
>
> Yuck.  Nor would I.  That shouldn't even be in the FAQ, AFAIAC.

A mistake?

>>> A better solution, IMHO, is:
>>> chmod 0660 data/aliases.db
>>> chmod 0660 data/virtual-mailman.db
>>> adduser www-data list
>
> Really, since you're using a Debian package, the proper permissions
> and groups should be setup by the package.  If there isn't already a
> Debian bug filed for this, it seems like there ought to be.  If I were
> a Debian user, I'd file it.

Yes, I will do it.
I just forget to ask if this could be a debian package bug.
Maybe there is a better solution.

> [...]
> I'm not picking on Debian or implying that they're wrong to change
> things to fit better within their system, just noting that the problem
> is something that should be fixed in the Debian packaging.  The same
> is true for any other vendor that packages Mailman.

Yes.
But I'm sure I'm not the only one to use Mailman on a Debian!
Nobody hits this problem?
All of them use newlist to create a new mailing list?

> All that said, I *think* that you ought to be able to use the general
> solution in the FAQ, but instead of using chown mailman:mailman, use
> chown root:list (or whatever user and group Debian installs mailman
> under.

No.
This is already the default setting.
Owner: root
Group: list

Also, aliases and virtual-mailman have the "right" permission.
The only problem, as I can see, is that the hash files are not group
writeable.

> There shouldn't be a need to chmod anything to 0666.  That's
> an accident waiting to happen.

But if the files are not group writeable, how can the CGI script modify
them?

Regards  Manlio Perillo