[Mailman-Users] problems with .pck files

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Mar 22 05:57:42 CET 2006

james edwards wrote:

>A level 0  backup raan last night, so I can get the files from there.

Good. :-)

>Is there anything of use here:
>
>[root at jidmail jid]# /usr/lib/mailman/bin/dumpdb -p config.pck.last
>[----- start pickle file -----]
>[----- end pickle file -----]
>[root at jidmail jid]# /usr/lib/mailman/bin/dumpdb -p config.pck
>[----- start pickle file -----]
>[----- end pickle file -----]

These say that there is no list object in the files. That is bad. It
basically says the list shouldn't work at all.

>[root at jidmail jid]# ls
>config.pck  config.pck.last  pending.pck  request.pck
>[root at jidmail jid]# /usr/lib/mailman/bin/dumpdb -p pending.pck
>[----- start pickle file -----]
><----- start object 1 ----->
<snip>
>    'version': 2}
>[----- end pickle file -----]
>[root at jidmail jid]# /usr/lib/mailman/bin/dumpdb -p request.pck
>[----- start pickle file -----]
><----- start object 1 ----->
<snip>
>    'version': (0, 1)}
>[----- end pickle file -----]

These two look normal, but they aren't part of the problem. They relate
just to held messages in this case. There is a minor discrepancy in
that pending.pck shows two held messages (32 and 33) and request.pck
shows only 33, but it also looks like part of the listing might be
lost.

What happens if you go to the admin page for the list? Does that seem
OK or what? If dumpdb is telling the truth, the list's admin pages
should at most show default settings and no members. What are the
sizes of config.pck and config.pck.last?

If you go to the list's admin pages and everything looks totally OK
including the membership, make some innocuous change in settings and
then look at "bin/dumpdb" of the config.pck again. It should display
all the list attributes, membership, member options, etc.

Unless everything looks good including gate_news being OK, I'd restore
the config.pck only from the backup.