[Mailman-Users] Continuing problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 21 06:57:53 CET 2006

Dave Filchak wrote:

>OK .. I am having a hell of a time trying to get this working so would
>very much appreciate a helping hand from someone with more experience
>with Mailman than I.
>
>Here is what I want to happen:
>
>I want to have a one-way list (Newsletter). I have set this up so that
>everyone is moderated and I have three email address in the moderators
>and admin slots. All of these users are members of the list. I want to
>be able to send an email from one of the admin or moderator users to
>listname at clientdomain.com. clientdomain.com is not the same domain as
>the servers but it is a domain we host web and mail for.
>
>Here is what I have so far:
>
>The list is set up on the secondary mail server. The list set up went
>without a hitch and Mailman emailed me the following aliases to add to
>the aliases file, which I did and ran newaliases.
>

>turningpoints:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post
>turningpoints"
>turningpoints-admin:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin
>turningpoints"

<snip>
>I also added to the alias file on the main mail server, the following:
>

>turningpoints:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post
>turningpoints"
>turningpoints-admin:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin
>turningpoints"
<snip>

>so that when sending to the clients domain, the main server did not
>reject the user as unknown.

The main server group above are wrong. They say that mail to (for
example) turningpoints at main.server should be piped to
/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman on the main server which probably
doesn't exist.

Thet should probably be

turningpoints:              turningpoints at secondary.server
turningpoints-admin:        turningpoints-admin at secondary.server

and so on for the other 8

>No matter what I do, when I send an email to either
>turningpoints at secondarymailserver.net or turningpoints at clientdomain.net,
If turningpoints at clientdomain.net works at all, you either have mailman
installed on that machine or the aliases on that machine are not what
you said.

>I receive a bounce message saying that only admins are allowed to post
>to the list, of which the email I sent the original post from is a
>member. I have even tried removing the moderated bit for that particular
>email address with the same result.
>
>What the hell am I missing??

See next reply.