[Mailman-Users] vhost patchset for 2.1.7 (Debian, Exim)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 21 00:38:34 CET 2006

Bretton Vine wrote:

>Hi, I wonder if anyone can point me in the appropriate direction of some
>sorely lacking documentation on the patching of mailman to support
>virtualhosts under exim.
>
>Starting here:
>
>  http://nix.lauft.net/mailman/
>
>It appears that there are two distinct forks to the patchset
>(please correct me if I'm wrong)
>
>Apply [1] to mailman source, then [2]
>[1] http://nix.lauft.net/mailman/mailman-2.1.7-release-to-20060114.patch
>[2] http://nix.lauft.net/mailman/mailman-2.1.7-20060114-to-vhost.patch

In this case, patch [1] is the 2.1.7 post release bug fix patch from
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1405790&group_id=103&atid=300103>
and should be applied to 2.1.7 first, followed by application of [2]
which is the virtual hosting patch.

>or
>
>Apply [A] to mailman source, then [B]
>[A] http://nix.lauft.net/mailman/mailman-2.1.7-release-to-vhost.patch
>[B] http://nix.lauft.net/mailman/mailman-vh-2.1.7.patch

In this case, [A] is the same function as [2] in the case above, but
without first applying [1].

[B] is a separate patch from a different source and is on the
<http://nix.lauft.net/mailman/> site only for reference. It could be
applied instead of [A], not in addition.

>In both cases I've had to extensively edit the patches (paths etc) to
>apply correctly to the source on my system and they don't work with
>Debain sources either.

Patch [1] should apply cleanly to the 2.1.7 release, and patch [2] on
top of that. If your 2.1.7 sources are different, then there is no
telling what may happen.

>On top of that the sheer lack of documentation (especially if you're a
>sysadmin and not a python developer) is quite confusing. I haven't found
>any of the related sites (see below) to be of that much more use either.
>And where there is documentation related to mailman and exim, I've
>followed the instructions to the letter in terms of virtualhosts and
>still have no luck.

In fairness to Hans, this is a work in progress. You may find the
entire thread at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2006-March/018589.html>
to be of interest.