[Mailman-Users] Approving large messages results in MemoryError

Peter Veerman pveerman at nemo.kabelfoon.net
Mon Mar 20 12:22:12 CET 2006

>>Peter Veerman wrote:
>>
>>I'm Running mailman 2.1.7 on gentoo.
>>
>>When i want to approve a message which needs for some reason my
>>approval (e.g. from a wrong adress or sent BCC) i "hit a bug". It seems
>>that it does not give any problems when the message to be approved is
>>very small.... But when an attachment is included mailman hits a bug.
>How big are these attachments?

Ranging from 1 to 5 MB

><snip>
>>admin(22759):   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 581,
in
>>readMessage
>>admin(22759):     msg = cPickle.load(fp)
>>admin(22759): MemoryError

>The Python process run via cgi from the web server has run out of memory in
attempting to retrieve the message from the held message pickle where it's
stored. This is a file in Mailman's 'data' directory named
heldmsg-listname-nnn.pck (where listname is the name of the list and nnn is
a sequence number).
>How big is this file?

This file is 1.4 MB

> can you successfully dump it with bin/dumpdb?

Yes...Just 1.4 MB of data flashed ran across my terminal :)

> Does your OS or web server somehow limit the size of cgi programs?

Well I run apache2 and to be onest, i have not got a clue about this. I
searched my configuration files for any indications for this and also
googled around without any result :(