[Mailman-Users] remove unused language

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Mar 19 19:24:11 CET 2006

pal at hkskole.no wrote:

>I want to remove the list of languages when administrator is making a new
>list. I want to use the default language, and nothing else. How can I
>remove every language in the list, except the default one?

At the end of Defaults.py you will see the definition of the
LC_DESCRIPTIONS dictionary. Basically, you want to remove the
languages you don't want to support, but you don't do this in
Defaults.py. You do it in mm_cfg.py by copying everything beginning
with

def _(s):
    return s

LC_DESCRIPTIONS = {}

def add_language(code, description, charset):
    LC_DESCRIPTIONS[code] = (description, charset)

and ending with

del _

Except for the languages you don't want to support. Assuming for
example that you already have

DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'no'

in mm_cfg.py, you could add

def _(s):
    return s

LC_DESCRIPTIONS = {}

def add_language(code, description, charset):
    LC_DESCRIPTIONS[code] = (description, charset)

add_language('no',    _('Norwegian'),           'iso-8859-1')

del _

to mm_cfg.py to make Norwegian the only supported language. If you know
Python, you could come up with lots of ways to do this in mm_cfg.py,
byt the above is the most straightforward. Note that you must have an
LC_DESCRIPTIONS entry for the DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE. As long as you
have that, you can have as many or as few of the other languages as
you want.

NOTE! Before you do this, you need to be sure the preferred language of
each existing list is set to (one of) the language(s) you support.
Otherwise you'll encounter exceptions when accessing the list.