[Mailman-Users] renaming lists

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Mar 13 20:59:08 CET 2006

Dragon wrote:

>Dave Stern wrote:
>>We have a number of departments with similarly-sounding lists as well as
>>some that replicate others. To streamline and simplify, I intend to rename
>>some lists. The FAQ describe how to move and redirect lists but this isn't
>>quite what I want. In some cases, some lists will swap names (ie ListX
>>is renamed to ListY and ListY is renamed to listX so web redirect wont
>>work. OTOH, it's not an issue since the web interface is just used by
>>the few list admins who've already agreed to new names, web paths, perhaps
>>even resetting their admin passwords). Also none of the  lists have
>>archives.
>>
>>With that in mind, I'm hoping I can just swap their config.pck files
>>(after turning off sendmail and qrunner).  Is this doable?
>---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
>I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will correct me if I am wrong, but
>after looking at what is in the config.pck file using dumpdb, it
>seems that you could swap the files and then just go in and edit the
>list specific stuff using the web interface.

Essentially correct, but you want to swap directory names because you
want the requests and pending and digest.mbox and all to stay with the
list, and there's only one listname specific thing that needs to be
changed.

rename the directories - e.g.

mv lists/listy lists/temp_no_conflict_name
mv lists/listx lists/Listy
mv lists/temp_no_conflict_name lists/listx

Then go to the web admin for ListX and change it's real_name to ListY
and so on for all lists.