[Mailman-Users] 1 email for multiple email-list recipients onsame server?

Allan Hansen hansen at rc.org
Fri Mar 10 07:46:56 CET 2006

I run a bunch of lists and have set up a special 'all_subscribers' list
that I maintain with a cron job that runs every night. The cron job
runs the following script:

the file list_of_all_lists contains the names of all the lists I want to
include with this 'all_subscribers' list.

########
#!/bin/bash
touch /tmp/all_subs
for i in $(cat list_of_all_lists)
do
   /usr/share/mailman/bin/list_members -f --nomail=enabled $i >> /tmp/all_subs
done
cat /tmp/all_subs|sort -u > /tmp/all_subs.sorted
/usr/share/mailman/bin/sync_members -f /tmp/all_subs.sorted all_subscribers > /dev/null
rm /tmp/all_subs /tmp/all_subs.sorted
##########

Sending to this list causes the post to go to each subscriber of any list just once.

I have another list that combines a subset of the lists similarly.

Allan

At 10:27 -0600 3/9/06, Matt England wrote:
>At 3/9/2006 10:20 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>Now suppose it finds listb and listc in those headers. It would then
>>have to look at the members of those lists and see if the current
>>delivery candidate is a member of one of those lists, has delivery
>>enabled on that list and is receiving messages and not digests from
>>that list.
>
>...yes...
>
>>  And then if it did all those things and decided not to
>>deliver, presumably listb and listc would do the same thing and not
>>deliver either and the user would receive 0 emails.
>
>...and this seems to be the trickiest part: which list becomes the
>"primary" one.  I can envision straightforward (even though they are not
>easy to implement solutions) to everything except this last point.  :(
>

>>See
>><http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.005.htp>
>>for some ideas about how to build unduplicated 'super lists' that can
>>be used to post to the members of more than one list.
>
>Thanks for the reference, that's very helpful.
>
>-Matt

| Allan Hansen, Ph.D.                                             |
|    P.O. Box 2423, Cypress, CA 90630, U.S.A.                     |
| Work:                              Home:                        |
| Phone: +1-714/952-6015             +1-714/875-8870              |
| Fax:   +1-714/952-6746                                          |
| Email: allan.hansen at ugs.com        hansen at rc.org                |
| WWW:   http://www.ugs.com          http://www.rc.org/           |
|_Anything is possible with the right tools and right information_|