[Mailman-Users] Public vs Private Mailing List

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 10 01:00:33 CET 2006

<edcarlsen at cox.net> wrote:

>I created two lists, mailman and second. I marked mailman as a private list and second as a public list.
>When I request the public lists available by e-mail from the mailman-request address it tells me both my list are public lists. When I request the public lists available from the second-request address, it tells me only the second list is available (which is correct).
>Is there some special significance to the list named mailman?

The 'mailman' list is not special in this context. The issue is that
the list that is processing the request will be shown in the results
whether or not it is 'advertised' (the comment in the code is

# We can mention this list if you already know about it).

I realize this is inconsistent with the heading of the results that
says 'Public mailing lists at ...', but that's the way it currently
works.