[Mailman-Users] 1 email for multiple email-list recipients onsame server?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 9 19:35:06 CET 2006

    Patrick> On 3/9/06, Matt England <mengland at mengland.net> wrote:

    >> ...and this seems to be the trickiest part: which list becomes
    >> the "primary" one.  I can envision straightforward (even though
    >> they are not easy to implement solutions) to everything except
    >> this last point.  :(

    Patrick> Easy enough: The first list on the list of lists (does
    Patrick> that make sense? The first list that is listed in the
    Patrick> message as a recipient) is "primary". If I'm not first, I
    Patrick> don't deliver. If I am, go for it.  Or the first
    Patrick> alphabetically. It doesn't really matter, as long as
    Patrick> everything agrees.

BCC.  Oops-I-forgot-list-B-and-resend.  Umbrella lists.  There are
probably other ways to ensure that different lists get different sets
of addresses.  Any of the suggestions will probably work in Matt's
particular case, but might break down in other cases.  Also, list
admins can create aliases for a list; you'd need to handle that.  I
*think* that all the problem cases "fail safe" (ie, you may get dupes,
but you never lose a post entirely), but you'd want to prove that!