[Mailman-Users] Misdirected probe messages?

James Davis jamesd at jml.net
Wed Mar 8 11:54:08 CET 2006

First time I've run into trouble with mailman after running several
lists using it. I added a new list to my install yesterday which is an
order of magnitude larger than any I've run before with 3,600 users. I
set the list up as I would normally, adding the following aliases to my
exim virtual hosts setup.

## wil-mailing mailing list
wil-mailing:              "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post wil-mailing"
wil-mailing-admin:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin wil-mailing"
wil-mailing-bounces:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
wil-mailing"
wil-mailing-confirm:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm
wil-mailing"
wil-mailing-join:         "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join wil-mailing"
wil-mailing-leave:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave wil-mailing"
wil-mailing-owner:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner wil-mailing"
wil-mailing-request:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request
wil-mailing"
wil-mailing-subscribe:    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe
wil-mailing"
wil-mailing-unsubscribe:  "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
wil-mailing"

About 300 addresses bounced on the first mailing and mailman sent probes
to those addresses. The probes seem to be bouncing back to addresses
that don't exist and ending up in my 'Catch all' mailbox. An example of
one of the mails that ends up in my mailbox follows. Any idea what I've
done wrong? I presume that bounce should end up going to mailman instead
of me.

Many thanks,

James