[Mailman-Users] using an ORBS type lookup to auto reject posts

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Mar 6 01:11:24 CET 2006

At 5:52 PM -0600 2006-03-05, Jeff DeReus wrote:

>  I was curious if there is some sort of mechanism in mailman 2.1.5 to reverse
>  lookup (?)  the poster via some sort of ORBS type database without manually
>  blacklisting all the different addresses that are out there.  Any help or
>  leads to documentation would be helpful.

	This kind of stuff belongs in the MTA, or as part of the
anti-spam/anti-virus/anti-abuse mail filtering system that you use in
conjunction with the MTA.  By the time the message has gotten to
Mailman then you've already lost the battle, if you're trying to do
these kinds of lookups.

	These kinds of things are only useful to do before you accept the
message, and that can only be done within the MTA, or within the
before-queue mail filtering system that works with the MTA.  If you
don't keep the stuff off your server to begin with, then you've
already lost.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755