[Mailman-Users] Large site mailman config

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Mar 3 12:46:45 CET 2006

At 10:31 AM +0000 2006-03-03, George Barnett wrote:

>  Could somebody please send me a config for a large mailman site?

	In my experience, these kinds of things need to be developed
specifically for a given site.  SourceForge and lists.apple.com may
both be exceptionally large Mailman sites, but their traffic patterns
may not be anything remotely similar.  And neither of them are likely
to be anything like a monster announce-only list with 500k
recipients, where announcements are made once a week or once a month.

>  We're seeing our mailman queue wedge fairly frequently.  A simple
>  restart sorts this out, but I'd like to see if there's anything else I
>  can do to prevent this.

	What do you mean by "wedge"?  Which process(es) is/are failing or
getting "wedged"?

>  We have the following relevant options set:
>
>  QRUNNERS = [
>       ('ArchRunner',     4), # messages for the archiver
>       ('BounceRunner',   2), # for processing the qfile/bounces directory
>       ('CommandRunner',  1), # commands and bounces from the outside world
>       ('IncomingRunner', 4), # posts from the outside world
>       ('NewsRunner',     1), # outgoing messages to the nntpd
>       ('OutgoingRunner', 4), # outgoing messages to the smtpd
>       ('VirginRunner',   1), # internally crafted (virgin birth) messages
>       ('RetryRunner',    3), # retry temporarily failed deliveries
>       ]

	For the mailing lists hosted on python.org (including the
mailman-users mailing list), we have not found it necessary to modify
the default QRUNNERS values.

	I can't speak for any other Mailman site.

>  # Default queue stuff is shite.
>  QRUNNER_LOCK_LIFETIME = hours(20)
>  QRUNNER_PROCESS_LIFETIME = hours(2)
>  QRUNNER_MAX_MESSAGES = 50000
>  DELIVERY_RETRY_WAIT=minutes(10)
>  # Max recipients for each message
>  SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 150
>  # Max messages sent in each SMTP connection
>  SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION = 25
>  ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX = 0

	Again, for the mailing lists for python.org, we haven't found it
necessary to modify any of these values from their defaults set in
Defaults.py.

	Most of my work in doing performance tuning for python.org has
been within the MTA, and I've tried to make as much of that
information available in the FAQ Wizard -- search for "performance".

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755