[Mailman-Users] Bounce issues with Yahoo

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Mar 1 23:12:24 CET 2006

At 4:34 PM -0500 2006-03-01, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

>>  Like most people who've been running mailing lists for 20+ years, I
>
>  Funny, I would have guessed this was your first, comming from a marketing
>  background with the selfishness you are showing.

	Selfishness?  I think you might want to look in the mirror first.

>>  have strong opinions about list policy. Please address the mechanism
>>  I asked for instead of seeking to discuss the policy issues.
>
>  Would you like to provide the IP of your mailman server, so we can block
>  just that and not your whole domain ?

	We run python.org this way.  How about we just ban you from all
the lists on python.org?

>  Sorry, when you get 1,000 AN HOUR of autoreplies for mail you didn't send
>  you look at it differently.

	When you get 2GB worth of syslog data in less than a 24 hour
period of time, or when you've worked at a site handling tens of
millions of e-mail messages per day, or when you've been personally
blamed for taking out all e-mail across the entire Internet and
resulting in the bankruptcies of more than a few companies as well as
some personal bankruptcies as well, you develop a certain perspective
on things.

>  But you want operational,  put SpamAssassin or some other filter in front so
>  you don't reply to spam at all.

	Just because you run SpamAssassin (or any other anti-spam
filtering system) doesn't mean that some spam won't slip through.
Run a large enough site, and when even a relatively small percentage
slips through, you're still talking about large amounts of bogus
stuff that you've got to try to deal with.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755