[Mailman-Users] Sending to Verizon users.

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Tue Jun 27 18:56:38 CEST 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Barry Finkel wrote:

> User for Mailman mail list wrote:
> >>
> >>Banging my head against the wall ( and it hurts..)
> >>
> >>On the different list from our Mailman mail list server, the mail goes out
> >>fine except for users with a "verizon.net" address. Here is a typical
> >>syslog entry:
> >>
> >>Jun 26 12:57:29 secure sm-mta[13001]: k5QJv2Gt012804:
> >>to=<auser at verizon.net>, delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=176103,
> >>relay=relay.verizon.net. [206.46.232.11], dsn=5.0.0, stat=Service unavailable
>
> I have had problems in the past sending mail to verizon.net.  I could
> not even send mail to postmaster at verizon.net.  I believe that Verizon
> has some anti-spam filter that does not accept a lot of legitimate mail.

I've seen the same thing with verizon.net. But even more strange, I'll
have messages go through to some verizon.net users while the same message
will not go through for other users (when it happens, it seems to always
be the same users where it's not going through). Which makes me think some
users turn on some optional spam checking or similar.

In addition, I never see a permanent rejection (5xx), just transient
(4xx). Meaning the silly message sticks around for days until it times
out. Unfortunately, the list where this happens is in its inactive time of
the year and all the relevant logs have aged off the system so I can't say
if the specific error I'm getting is the same "Service Unavailable" in the
OP's log extract.

-- Larry Stone
   lstone19 at stonejongleux.com