[Mailman-Users] problem upgrading from 2.0.11 to 2.1.8 on Solaris 9with Python 2.4

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jun 26 20:57:53 CEST 2006

Kralizec Craig wrote:

>I'm updating a mailman installation which is currently 2.0.11 running
>under Solaris 9 on a Sun Sparc system
>
>I've compiled mailman-2.1.8 without a problem but when I went to install it,
>it's aborted part-way through the update process with this error:
>
>---- start ----
>
>Updating Mailman 2.0 pending_subscriptions.db database
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "bin/update", line 789, in ?
>     errors = main()
>   File "bin/update", line 713, in main
>     update_pending()
>   File "bin/update", line 592, in update_pending
>     addr = data[0].address
>AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'address'
>gmake: *** [update] Error 1
>
>---- stop ----
>
>I made sure that the web server and mail server are turned off before
>trying to install the new version of the software...
>
>Could this be an unknown problem when updating from 2.0.11, or is it
>something more insidious - perhaps a problem with Python itself?

I'm not sure if this is a Mailman issue or if there is some specific
problem with your data/pending.db file. I would have to research the
actual pending.db format for 2.0.11 to answer this for sure, but I
think Mailman is OK.

update is trying to convert a pending subscription request from  2.0.11
format to the current pending.pck per list format and at the point of
the error, data[0] is supposed to be a UserDesc instance and it is a
string.

If you are willing to abandon any unconfirmed subscribe, unsubscribe,
address change or delivery re-enable requests or confirmation of held
messages (I think they'll still be in the admindb web interface), you
can just rename or move aside the data/pending.db file and rerun
'bin/update' which is the only part of the install that didn't
complete.

>The machine used to have Python 2.2 installed but before starting the
>mailman upgrade I upgraded Python from 2.2 to 2.4. Maybe backing that out
>by re-installing Python 2.2 will help?

I don't think so.