[Mailman-Users] Mailman archives

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 22 18:35:53 CEST 2006

Uthra Rao wrote:

>I found out the path to my mailing list archives. I first checked the link
>on the admin page ->go to list archives -> 2006-June.txt.gz File name. I
>then did a "find" on this file on our server. I found out that  my archives
>were in /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/newlist directory. I think by
>default in linux the archives are put here. Looks like I need NOT have put
>the following entry in my httpd.conf file:
>
>Alias    /pipermail/    /usr/lib/mailmanarchives/public

If you want to be able to access the archives via the 'pipermail' URL
without authentication, you need that alias, but it needs to be in
your case

Alias    /pipermail/    /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/

The path /var/lib/mailman/ is not a 'Linux' default, but it may be
where some packager puts mutable data by default. This path is set by
the --with-var-prefix option to configure and defaults to the --prefix
setting which in turn defaults to /usr/local/mailman.

In other words, in a totally default Mailman installation, everything
is in /usr/local/mailman/ by default, but anyone who configures a
package can put things where they want.

Also, just to emphasize what I indicated previously, Actual archive
data is stored (in your case) in
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/newlist/*.
/var/lib/mailman/archives/public/newlist is a symlink to
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/newlist.