[Mailman-Users] Mailman and fault tolerance

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jun 22 06:16:35 CEST 2006

At 9:25 PM -0500 6/21/06, Antonio Dragone wrote:

>  Today in the morning I started the server again and I found about 400
>  e-mails in the sendmail queue.

	Right, but how many messages had sendmail already delivered by
that point?  Did you check the logs?

>  Is there some way to know if mailman could send the rest of letters
>  (about 11.000 email addresses)?

	Sure.

>  I know by experience that Mailman doesn't deliver the 11k emails at
>  once but in groups of 50 addresses (more or less depending of server
>  response).

	Which isn't an issue.

>  Has mailman some kind of fault tolerance to resume an incomplete job?

	Sure.  Mailman puts all outgoing messages into it's own outgoing
queue, before it delivers those messages to the MTA.  So, anything
that has not yet been delivered to the MTA should still be in the
outgoing queue from Mailman.  When Mailman restarts, those old
messages sitting in the queue should be flushed out to the MTA.

	You should already be covered.  Just check your logs to see what
messages (and how many) were delivered by Mailman to the MTA, and how
many of those messages the MTA had already delivered.  I suspect you
will be pleasantly surprised.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755