[Mailman-Users] spamming of my list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jun 20 04:57:20 CEST 2006

Louis Headley wrote:

>The problem that i have is that my mailman in free from my webhost
>(hostway.com) and it is an old version. I think that it is 2.0 or 2.1. I
>could not do what Mark suggested in his first email because my version was
>too old and didnt have that functionality. i have since deleted the list and
>will put up a new list in a month or two. The spam was unbelievable.

Unfortunately, with a host list such as you have (had), there is not
much you can do.

Your original post said posts weren't reaching the list but were being
held, and it was the discarding of held spam that was the problem
because of the volume.

About the only thing you can do is set the list to discard or reject
rather than hold posts from non-members, but I think this is a 2.1
option and may not be available if you have 2.0.x. Also, discard vs.
reject is somewhat controversial. Discard is best, but doesn't meet
the needs of all lists.

>even with this suggestion about the spamassasin, I am not sure that i would
>be able to do, as i have no idea where to find the "x-spam-flag".

This is something that would have to be done by the web/Mailman host
before the mail reaches Mailman. It is not something you can do in
your situation.