[Mailman-Users] Mailman/Python FreeBSD port problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jun 19 03:18:48 CEST 2006

Joe Auty wrote:

>On Jun 18, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Joe Auty wrote:
>>>
>>> When I try to startup the Mailport FreeBSD port via its rc script, I
>>> get the following:
>>>

>>> ... snipped all sorts of stuff ....
>>>
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>> Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
>>>   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 76, in ?
>>

>> First it seems some configuration step may have been missed. <prefix>
>> should have been replaced with a path - probably /usr/local/mailman/.
>
>Hmmm...
>
>How do I correct this?

I have no idea. What I said in my first response still applies.

>>> This same port works on another FreeBSD machine of mine. I've posed
>>> this question to the FreeBSD Questions list, but I seem to have
>>> baffled some, which is why I thought I would post this question here.
>>> I hope this appropriate to post here.

You might compare the 'rc' file on this machine to the one on the
working machine. That might provide a clue.

This is the paragraph I was referring to above by "what I said ..."

>> We probably can't be much help either. The output you posted seems
>> 'interleaved' and is not too intelligible without knowing what is
>> being run. In general, we are not able to help much with 3rd party
>> packages when the problem is with the package rather than the
>> underlying Mailman.
>>

>Just in case you'd like to take a stab at this, I'm enclosing the
>full error message. I'd *really* appreciate your help if you are able
>to help me, since I'd really like to get Mailman running again on
>this computer somehow, and have reached the end of my rope...

The full output really isn't any more help than the excerpt, since we
still have no idea what's in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mailman.sh that's
producing all these errors. This script is part of your FreeBSD port.
It's not in our distribution. Also, we have no idea in what ways files
we do know about have been changed in your package.

One wild guess - look at bin/paths.py. It should contain real paths as
definitions for 'prefix' and 'exec_prefix'. If it's wrong, then so
probably are cron/paths.py and scripts/paths.py (and who knows what
else).