[Mailman-Users] Mailman/Python FreeBSD port problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jun 18 18:41:10 CEST 2006

Joe Auty wrote:

>When I try to startup the Mailport FreeBSD port via its rc script, I
>get the following:
>

>... snipped all sorts of stuff ....
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 76, in ?

First it seems some configuration step may have been missed. <prefix>
should have been replaced with a path - probably /usr/local/mailman/.

>   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 76, in ?
>Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>

Likewise <exec-prefix>

<snip>
>import getopt
>No module named getoptImportError
>: No module named getopt

What happens if you gave a 'python' command and then type

import getopt

at the '>>>' prompt. It should just return another '>>>' prompt to
which you type control-D to exit. If it gives any error, something is
wrong with your python installation.

>This same port works on another FreeBSD machine of mine. I've posed
>this question to the FreeBSD Questions list, but I seem to have
>baffled some, which is why I thought I would post this question here.
>I hope this appropriate to post here.

We probably can't be much help either. The output you posted seems
'interleaved' and is not too intelligible without knowing what is
being run. In general, we are not able to help much with 3rd party
packages when the problem is with the package rather than the
underlying Mailman.